«Російські офіцери, призначені в ході останньої ротації на командні посади у з’єднаннях і частинах незаконних збройних формувань, намагаються підвищити бойові спроможності підлеглих підрозділі»


The World Health Organization estimates more than 800,000 people around the world die every year because of unsafe drinking water. But researchers at Massachusetts Institute of Technology may have figured out a simple and inexpensive way to clean the world’s dirtiest water. VOA’s Kevin Enochs reports.


An Australian diplomat’s tip appears to have helped persuade the FBI to investigate Russian meddling in the U.S. election and possible coordination with the Trump campaign, The New York Times reported Saturday.

Trump campaign adviser George Papadopoulos told the diplomat, Alexander Downer, during a meeting in London in May 2016 that Russia had thousands of emails that would embarrass Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton, the report said. Downer, a former foreign minister, is Australia’s top diplomat in Britain.

Australia passed the information on to the FBI after the Democratic emails were leaked, according to the Times, which cited four current and former U.S. and foreign officials with direct knowledge of the Australians’ role.

“The hacking and the revelation that a member of the Trump campaign may have had inside information about it were driving factors that led the FBI to open an investigation in July 2016,” the newspaper said.

White House lawyer Ty Cobb declined to comment, saying in a statement that the administration was continuing to cooperate with the investigation now led by special counsel Robert Mueller “to help complete their inquiry expeditiously.”

Papadopoulos has pleaded guilty of lying to the FBI and is a cooperating witness. Court documents unsealed two months ago show he met in April 2016 with Joseph Mifsud, a professor in London who told him about Russia’s cache of emails. This was before the Democratic National Committee became aware of the scope of the intrusion into its email systems by hackers later linked to the Russian government.

The Times said Papadopoulos shared this information with Downer, but it was unclear whether he also shared it with anyone in the Trump campaign.


The daughter of key Black Lives Matter figure Eric Garner died Saturday after a weeklong hospital stay following a heart attack.

“She was a warrior to the end. She stood up for justice for her father,” the Reverend Al Sharpton said in announcing the death of Erica Garner, 27, at a New York hospital.

Garner’s official Twitter account, run by her family and friends since she became ill, asked that she be remembered as a mother, daughter, sister and aunt with a heart “bigger than the world.”

In 2014, her father, Eric Garner, who was black, was stopped on Staten Island for selling untaxed cigarettes and died after a white police officer subdued him with a chokehold. A grand jury declined to indict the officer; the city agreed to pay a $6 million civil settlement.

Garner’s last words, “I can’t breathe,” became a slogan for activists.

Erica Garner became a voice for police accountability after his death, criticizing Democratic Mayor Bill de Blasio over policing matters. In 2016, she campaigned on behalf of Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders, an independent who ran for the Democratic Party’s nomination, for president.

Garner’s mother, Esaw Snipes, told The New York Times previously that Garner, who gave birth four months ago, had learned during the pregnancy that she had heart problems.

Snipes said Garner had a heart attack after an asthma episode and was placed in a medically induced coma.


Hundreds of thousands of law enforcement, military and security officials will be deployed in cities around the world to keep New Year’s Eve revelers safe as they gather to welcome 2018.

In the United States, New York City officials announced they would use two-step screening, snipers, street closures and specially trained dogs to secure Times Square, where an estimated 2 million people will gather to watch the annual ball drop at midnight.

In Las Vegas, 300 National Guard troops will join more than 1,500 police officers to keep safe the city’s famed Strip, home to a number of casinos, resorts and hotels. The security precautions to protect the expected crowd of more than 300,000 will include snipers positioned on rooftops and double the number of emergency response teams from previous years.

In South America, Rio de Janeiro police plan a security force of 12,000, nearly 20 percent more officers than last year, for New Year’s events. Military police say they are suspending vacations for security personnel to ensure there are enough police officers on duty.

​Patrols in London

In London, a record number of armed officers and canine units will patrol celebrations and the city’s Underground subway system, although Metropolitan Police said they had received no specific threat. Steel and concrete barricades will ring main events that will be attended by an estimated 500,000 people, police said.

In Germany, all major cities, including Berlin, Munich, Hamburg and Cologne, announced there would be enhanced police presence at all celebrations. They declined to reveal details.

In Africa, after at least nine people were killed Friday outside a church in suburban Cairo by a gunman on a motorcycle, Egyptian authorities have beefed up security for New Year’s Eve and Orthodox Christmas.

In an attempt to prevent further terrorist attacks, the Interior Ministry has raised the security alert to the maximum level throughout the country. The ministry has ordered heightened security near vital institutions such as churches and embassies.

More security patrols will be deployed to streets, squares and other areas where celebrations will be held.

In Istanbul, police have arrested 120 people with suspected links to Islamic State militants ahead of the New Year’s celebrations. The city also plans to more than double the number of police officers on the streets to prevent a repeat of last year, when a man armed with an assault rifle killed 39 Turks and foreigners at a nightclub. Police have also canceled some public celebrations in key districts of Turkey’s largest city.

​Preparations in India

In India, more than 30,000 security personnel will guard the popular gathering sites across Mumbai. In the southern tech hub of Bengaluru, officials plan to deploy more than 15,000 officers, as well as use drones, security cameras and canine units. A 500-member, all-female police squad will also be deployed to ensure there is no repeat of last year, when several women were harassed and molested in the streets by male revelers.

In Australia, one of the first places to ring in the new year, security officials are guarding against any kind of terror attack on New Year’s Eve. Officials said police officers would be out in force on the ground, in the air and on the sea as part of the largest security operation in the country.

More than 1 million people are expected to gather in the center of Sydney and at least half that number in Melbourne to watch fireworks displays. Police said Melbourne’s city center would be on lockdown and remain closed until 6 a.m. New Year’s Day to protect the crowd.

Police in Melbourne last month arrested a man for allegedly planning to shoot revelers on New Year’s Eve.


Від початку перемир’я, встановленого на час різдвяних та новорічних свят з 23 грудня підтримувані Росією бойовики здійснили 39 обстрілів позицій ЗСУ на Донбасі, заявляє штаб АТО з посиланням на українську сторону Спільного центру контролю і координації режиму припинення вогню на Донбасі. Згідно з повідомленням, з-поміж усіх обстрілів –10 – із застосуванням озброєнь, заборонених Мінськими домовленостями.

«Упродовж минулого тижня НЗФ ОРДО/ОРЛО активно застосовували стрілецьку зброю, великокаліберні кулемети та гранатомети вздовж всієї лінії розмежування. Обстрілів позицій наших військових із артилерії великих калібрів, у тому числі реактивних систем залпового вогню, та танків українською стороною СЦКК не зафіксовано», – йдеться в повідомленні.

Повідомляється також, що від часу оголошення про початок дії нового перемир’я активізувались і снайпери бойовиків – зафіксовано 7 випадків. 

«Підрозділи ЗСУ у районі проведення АТО на території Донецької та Луганської областей безумовно дотримуються Мінських домовленостей та забезпечують виконання усіх заходів щодо дотримання режиму «тиші» по всій лінії розмежування сторін на сході України, незважаючи на брудні провокації проросійських терористичних військ», – йдеться в повідомленні штабу з посиланням на українську сторону в СЦКК.

Росія вивела своїх представників з СЦКК. Вони покинули Україну 19 грудня через, як заявили в російському МЗС, «напружену морально-психологічну ситуацію» і «зневажливе ставлення українських військовослужбовців». Українські представники заявили, що виведення Росією своїх представників з СЦКК є спробою Кремля змусити Київ вести переговори з представниками сепаратистських угруповань «ДНР» і «ЛНР».

Тристороння контактна група щодо врегулювання ситуації на Донбасі оголосила черговий режим тиші з півночі 23 грудня 2017 року. Він змінює оголошений у зв’язку з початком навчального року режим тиші, який не призвів до припинення обстрілів.


Президент України Петро Порошенко підписав в суботу зміни до бюджетного, податкового та земельного кодексів України, інформує прес-служба президента.

Змінами до Бюджетного кодексу передбачено уточнення порядку формування і виконання місцевих бюджетів, фінансового забезпечення охорони здоров’я та освіти, соціального захисту громадян тощо.

У новому Податковому кодексі , серед іншого, змінюються правила безмитного ввезення товарів на територію України, у тому числі в міжнародних поштових та експрес-відправленнях.

Зміни до Бюджетного та Податкового кодексів набирають чинності, за винятком окремих пунктів, з 1 січня 2018 року.

Змінами до Земельного кодексу продовжується на один рік термін дії мораторію на продаж чи відчуження земель сільськогосподарського призначення. Документ набирає чинності з дня, наступного за днем його опублікування.


Упродовж десяти місяців 2017 року компетентні органи Польщі надали статус біженця 56 громадянам України, повідомили у Посольстві України в Польщі. Згідно з повідомленням, торік кількість таких громадян становила 32.

«При цьому, станом на 1 липня 2017 року дійсні дозволи на проживання в Польщі мали більш ніж 128 тисяч громадян України (з них 79 осіб мали статус біженця)», – повідомляється на сторінці посольства у Facebook.

Крім того, польська сторона ухвалила 175 рішень про надання українцям статусу особи, яка потребує додаткового захисту.

За даними дипломатів, протягом першого півріччя 2017 року громадянам України видали понад  91 тисячу дозволів на працю різних типів у Польщі, що майже вдвічі більше, ніж торік. Водночас кількість виданих віз (національні та шенгенські) залишилася практично незмінною у порівнянні з минулим роком – понад 988 тисяч.

Посольство України у Польщі оприлюднило заяву про «реальну кількість біженців» у Польщі після того, як 29 грудня у польській пресі речниця уряду Йоанна Копцінська заявила про те, що Польща прийняла «дуже багато біженців з України, в якій триває війна». Копцінська заявила, що таким чином Варшава допомагає долати «напруженість на східному фланзі ЄС», що не враховують західні партнери.