Facebook Inc on Tuesday debuted an overhaul of its core social network and new business-focused tools, the first concrete steps in its plan to refashion itself into a private messaging and e-commerce company.

Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg unveiled a fresh design for the world’s biggest social network that de-emphasized its News Feed and showcased services like its messaging app, online marketplace and video-on-demand site.

The company also rolled out features aimed both at encouraging users to interact with their close social circle as well as with businesses, including appointment booking and a “Secret Crush” option for Facebook Dating.

Zuckerberg in March promised changes to the advertising-driven social media company as it was under regulatory scrutiny over propaganda on its platform and users’ data privacy. Facebook’s News Feed continues to draw ad dollars but user growth in its most lucrative markets has slowed.

“We believe that there is a community for everyone. So we’ve been working on a major evolution to make communities as central as friends,” said Zuckerberg on Tuesday, speaking at Facebook’s annual F8 conference, where the company gives developers a peek at new product releases.

Other Facebook executives introduced changes within the Messenger and Instagram apps aimed at helping businesses connect with customers, including appointment booking and enhanced shopping features as well as a tool to lure customers into direct conversations with companies via ads.

Zuckerberg identified private messaging, ephemeral stories and small groups as the fastest-growing areas of online communication. In last three years, the number of people using WhatsApp has almost doubled.

The social media company is now working on “LightSpeed” in order to make its Messenger app smaller in size and faster.

Facebook will also introduce Messenger for Mac and Windows and launch a new feature called “Product Catalog” for WhatsApp Business. The desktop version of Messenger will be available this fall.

“I know that we don’t exactly have the strongest reputation on privacy right now, to put it lightly,” Zuckerberg said.

The online ad market is largely dominated by Facebook and Alphabet Inc’s Google. But by focusing more on messaging, e-commerce, payment and enterprise-focused tools,

Facebook will also need to battle the likes of Amazon.com Inc and Microsoft Corp as well as fast-growing Silicon Valley unicorns like workplace messaging app Slack.

“We’ve shown time and again as a company that we have what it takes to evolve,” Zuckerberg said.

Making money

Facebook pulled in nearly $56 billion in revenue last year, almost of all which came from showing ads to the 2.7 billion people who access its family of apps each month.

But Facebook is no longer adding many new users in the United States and Europe, its most lucrative markets, and it must find additional sources of revenue if it is to sustain growth.

The product releases at F8 indicate its answer involves efforts to keep users on its apps for longer, coupled with e-commerce tools Facebook is hoping businesses will pay to use.

Features that drive the most user engagement, like Stories and videos, are being decked out with new tools and given increased prominence across the platforms.

One new feature will allow users to watch videos together in Messenger, while also viewing each other’s reactions in simultaneous texts and video chats.

Facebook Dating will be expanded into 14 new markets, including places in Asia like the Philippines where Facebook has high user growth. A “Secret Crush” feature will allows users to explore potential romantic relationships within their friend circle.

The company is also courting businesses, giving them ways to chat with customers and conduct transactions, similar to how consumers in China are already shopping on services like WeChat. Instagram is expanding a sales system introduced last month, allowing public figures, known as influencers, to tag products in their posts so fans can buy them right away.

Sellers on Marketplace will likewise receive payments and arrange shipping directly within Facebook.


There has been a rare instance of agreement between opposition Democrat leaders in Congress and the administration of President Donald Trump. The two sides are pledging to work together on creating a huge infrastructure package.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, standing alongside Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer outside the White House, told reporters they and the president on Tuesday agreed on a number — two trillion dollars in funding for infrastructure projects that will include fixing roads, bridges and waterways, as well as improving the power grid and broadband access.

“Building infrastructure of America has never been a bipartisan issue,” said Pelosi. “And we hope to go forward in a very non-partisan way for the future.”

The Democrats say they will meet again with the president in about three weeks to discuss how the infrastructure projects will be funded.


Новообраний президент України Володимир Зеленський у понеділок зустрівся із митрополитом Української православної церкви (Московського патріархату) Онуфрієм, повідомляє прес-служба цієї церкви.

«Митрополит Онуфрій побажав Володимиру божого благословення на новому і відповідальному шляху служіння Україні та її народові. Учасники зустрічі також обговорили ситуацію, яка зараз склалася в релігійній сфері України», – йдеться в повідомленні.

Водночас у прес-службі Володимира Зеленського поки не повідомляли про результати бесіди з митрополитом Онуфрієм.

«Церква має молитись, а держава – робити» – у Зеленського підбили підсумки зустрічі з Епіфанієм

Раніше сьогодні новообраний президент України зустрівся із головою Православної церкви України Епіфанієм. Трохи згодом стало відомо і про його бесіду з патріархом Київським і всієї Руси-України Філаретом.


У Міністерстві інформаційної політики України повідомили про початок службового розслідування за фактом трансляції в аеропорту «Бориспіль» відеоролика, на якому територія України була зображена без анексованого Криму.

«Через технічний збій в кінцевому варіанті ролику залишилася карта, яку взято з фотостоків, в якій відсутні деякі напрями – Туреччина, країни Балтії, Данія та Крим. Ролик було показано всього кілька разів і одразу знято з ротації. Коректна версія відео вже передана для трансляції», – пояснили у Мінінформполітики.

У відомстві назвали інцидент «неприпустимим збоєм» і пообіцяли сприяти поліції у розслідуванні.

Раніше сьогодні у Нацполіції повідомили про відкриття кримінального провадження за статтею про посягання на територіальну цілісність і недоторканність України через трансляцію в аеропорту «Бориспіль» відео, на якому Україна була зображена без анексованого Криму. За даними правоохоронців, із відповідною скаргою до поліції звернувся напередодні пасажир летовища.

У поліції заявляли, що лист із пропозицію про розміщення відеоконтенту надійшов до аеропорту з Міністерства інформаційної політики.

Міжнародні організації визнали окупацію і анексію Криму незаконними і засудили дії Росії. Країни Заходу запровадили низку економічних санкцій. Росія заперечує окупацію півострова і називає це «відновленням історичної справедливості». Верховна Рада України офіційно оголосила датою початку тимчасової окупації Криму і Севастополя Росією 20 лютого 2014 року.


Boeing Co said an alert for angle-of-attack (AOA) sensors on its 737 MAX jets was “not activated as intended” for some customers, responding to reports it failed to tell Southwest Airlines Co and the U.S regulator that the optional feature was deactivated before a crash in Indonesia in October.

Erroneous AOA sensor readings that led to aggressive nose-down inputs by a computer have been linked to deadly 737 MAX crashes in Indonesia and Ethiopia, according to preliminary reports from investigators.

Boeing offered customers two optional paid features relating to AOA. The first was an AOA DISAGREE alert when the two sensors disagreed and the second was an indicator giving pilots a gauge of the actual angle.

Southwest, the largest 737 MAX customer, in November told Reuters the alert was installed and it planned to add the indicator as well following the Lion Air crash in Indonesia.

The Wall Street Journal on Sunday reported that unbeknown to Southwest and the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), the alerts were not activated on the carrier’s 737 MAX jets.

“After the Lion Air event, Southwest was notified by Boeing that the AOA disagree lights were inoperable without the optional AOA indicators on the MAX aircraft,” a Southwest spokesman said on Tuesday.

Boeing said on Monday that the disagree alert had been intended to be a standalone feature on the 737 MAX, but it was “not operable on all airplanes because the feature was not activated as intended.”

“The disagree alert was tied or linked into the angle-of-attack indicator, which is an optional feature on the MAX,” the manufacturer said in a statement. “Unless an airline opted for the angle-of-attack indicator, the disagree alert was not operable…Boeing did not intentionally or otherwise deactivate the disagree alert on its MAX airplanes.”

When Reuters contacted several 737 MAX operators about the optional features in November, only American Airlines and Singapore Airlines Ltd offshoot SilkAir confirmed they had installed both the alert and the indicator.

Canada’s WestJet Airlines Ltd and Dubai’s flydubai said they had installed the alert and Air Canada said it planned to install the indicator.

Boeing said the disagree alert was not considered a safety feature and was not necessary for the safe operation of the plane.

However, the company said following software modifications all new 737 MAX aircraft would have an activated and operable disagree alert and an optional angle-of-attack indicator, while current 737 MAX planes would have the ability to activate the disagree alert.

Boeing CEO and Chairman Dennis Muilenburg promised on Monday to win back the public’s trust after facing tough questions following the two crashes.

A FAA spokeswoman declined to comment.


«Тепер ми, всі українці, всі разом спільними зусиллями не маємо дати Путіну скористатися перехідним періодом в Україні»


House intelligence committee Chairman Adam Schiff is making a criminal referral to the Justice Department for the founder of the security firm Blackwater, alleging he lied to his committee in 2017.

Erik Prince testified to the panel that a 2016 meeting in the Seychelles islands with a Russian with ties to President Vladimir Putin was a chance encounter. But special counsel Robert Mueller’s report on his Russia investigation said the meeting was set up ahead of time.

Schiff said Tuesday that there is strong evidence that Erik Prince “willingly misled” the intelligence committee. He said at a Washington Post event that the evidence is “so weighty” that the Justice Department needs to consider it.

 

Prince is the brother of Education Secretary Betsy DeVos and a prominent support of President Donald Trump.

 


Міжнародний шахрай Коломойський, за яким полює ФБР, знову намагається обікрасти українців. Але ми, патріоти України, не дамо йому цього зробити. Зараз він сховав свій товстий і смердючий зад в Ізраїлі і шляхом підкупу маніпулює корумпованими українськими суддями. Пропонуємо надати йому можливість прилетіти в Україну, а тут закрити його в тюрмі назавжди і позбавити усього вкраденого! А акції Приватбанку розподілити між усіма громадянами України порівну, адже цей банк є державним, хай він стане дійсно НАРОДНИМ!

Екс-міністр економічного розвитку України в уряді Арсенія Яценюка, а нині член команди Володимира Зеленського Айварас Абромавичус каже, що західні партнери України «вкрай негативно» оцінюють ризик повернення націоналізованого «Приватбанку» колишнім власникам – Ігорю Коломойському й Геннадію Боголюбову – і якщо таке рішення буде ухвалене, воно може призвести до припинення фінансової допомоги України.

Айварас Абромавичус у штабі Зеленського розповів про загрози, пов’язані із «Приватбанком». Напередодні Окружний адмінсуд Києва ухвалив кілька рішень на користь Ігоря Коломойського, і одне з ключових – це визнання незаконною націоналізації «Приватбанку»:

«Коли є ризик повернення «Приватбанку»​ – і після цього, можливо, якихось інших банків – колишнім власникам, це означає, що президентство почнеться з доволі складної ситуації. Адже ні МВФ, ні Європейський союз, ні інші інститути й держави, які нам пропонують протягом останніх років фінансову допомогу, – ми на неї розраховуємо і в майбутньому, – вони, звісно, не будуть на це дивитися, склавши руки. Вони на це дивляться вкрай негативно».

Крім того, він застеріг, що рішення про повернення «Приватбанку» колишнім власникам – у разі, якщо воно буде ухвалене – може спричинити припинення фінансової допомоги України.

– Які можуть бути негативні наслідки?

– Наслідки – такі, що, через дії шахрая Коломойського, припиниться фінансова підтримка України.

У грудні 2016 року уряд України за пропозицією Нацбанку й акціонерів «Приватбанку», найбільшими з яких на той час були Ігор Коломойський і Геннадій Боголюбов, ухвалив рішення про націоналізацію цієї найбільшої на українському ринку фінустанови.

Банк перейшов у державну власність, на його докапіталізацію загалом держава витратила понад 155 мільярдів гривень. Як заявили в НБУ, до націоналізації «Приватбанку» завдали збитків щонайменше на 5,5 мільярдів доларів.

18 квітня цього року Окружний адміністративний суд Києва визнав незаконною націоналізацію «Приватбанку». Наступного дня цей суд скасував рішення НБУ від 13 грудня 2016 року, який визначив перелік пов’язаних з банком фізичних і юридичних осіб. 20 квітня Печерський суд Києва ухвалив рішення про розірвання договору особистої поруки бізнесмена Ігоря Коломойського по кредитах рефінансування «Приватбанку» на суму в 9,2 мільярда гривень, отриманих до його націоналізації. Згодом стало відомо, що Ігор Коломойський 19 квітня подав п’ять нових позовів до НБУ та «Приватбанку».

Правда України