A plan to use explosives to topple two giant cranes leaning precariously over a partially collapsed hotel has been delayed until Sunday, city officials said after determining the cranes were more damaged than previously thought.

Officials said a demolition that had been planned Saturday will now take place no earlier than noon Sunday. Fire Chief Tim McConnell said the latest delay was caused by the new assessment of the cranes.

“As they got up and got closer they found out some things about it that have changed the way they are going to take it down … and that’s going to take a little longer for them to accomplish,” he said at a news conference. “The cranes are more damaged than they thought.”

Workers in a bucket hoisted by a crane begin the process of preparing the two unstable cranes for implosion at the collapse site of the Hard Rock Hotel, which partially collapsed while under construction, Oct. 12, 2019, in New Orleans.

Hard Rock Hotel collapses

The Hard Rock Hotel under construction at the edge of the historic French Quarter partially collapsed Oct. 12, killing three workers. Two bodies remain in the unstable wreckage and Mayor LaToya Cantrell said recovering the remains would be a priority once the cranes are down.

The two cranes, one tower rising about 270 feet (82 meters) above the rubble and the other about 300 feet (91 meters) high, weigh tons and have loomed over the crumpled hotel since it collapsed.

If the demolition plans succeed, the towers will drop vertically, sparing neighboring landmark buildings such as the Saenger Theatre and the New Orleans Athletic Club, both built in the 1920s.

Officials said Saturday that they would give residents who needed to evacuate four hours’ notice ahead of the planned demolition. Cantrell also said she would not authorize the use of explosives during the night.

Officials have repeatedly said they are adjusting plans as necessary, based on the information they are getting from experts brought in to help devise a plan to remove the cranes.

“We’ve told you that this is a very dangerous building. The cranes are still in a precarious situation,” McConnell, the fire chief, said. He said at least one of the cranes was leaning more Saturday morning than it was the day before.

“It shifted and didn’t come back, which tells me it’s weakening,” he said.

Demolition experts

On Saturday, workers suspended in a basket held by a crane could be seen high over the wreckage, working on the cranes. Down below, streets in one of the busiest parts of town had been closed off and tents set up in the center of Canal Street where the city’s famous red street cars usually roll back and forth.

Dozens of tourists, employees and residents were milling around nearby, taking photos. But officials have said repeatedly that they do not want people to come to the area to watch the demolition in person.

Experts, including engineers who worked on demolitions after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, were called in to try to come up with a plan to clear the site and prevent further injury and damage before the cranes fell on their own.

Once planned for Friday, the demolition was first pushed back to Saturday.

The cause of the collapse remains unknown. The Occupational Health and Safety Administration is investigating and, Cantrell and McConnell said, evidence gathering began soon after the collapse.

Lawsuits are already being filed on behalf of some of the more than 20 people injured against the project’s owners and contractors.


Загальний підхід у відносинах України з ЄС і НАТО полягає в тому, що «ми потрібні один одному», заявив віцепрем’єр-міністр із питань європейської та євроатлантичної інтеграції України Дмитро Кулеба.

«У нас загальний підхід у стосунках з ЄС і в стосунках з НАТО, полягає в тому, що не ми доводимо їм, чому ми їм потрібні, а ми виходимо з того, що ми потрібні один одному. І ви абсолютно праві, не лише ми щось беремо у НАТО, але і НАТО багато бере у нас», – сказав Кулеба в інтерв’ю Радіо Свобода.

«Ми провели дуже ретельний аналіз того, у чому саме полягає ця додана вартість і унікальна компетенція України, накопичена за останніх 5 років. Ми знайшли цю нішу. Ця ніша називається «військові аспекти гібридної війни»… Україна накопичила дуже серйозний і унікальний абсолютно досвід саме військових аспектів гібридної війни. І ми розвиватимемося у цьому напрямі, обмінюватимемося досвідом з нашими колегами для того, щоб сформувати цілісну концепцію протидії гібридним загрозам», – додав урядовець.

 

Кулеба також заявив, що зараз «суттєво пришвидшилася» робота над впровадженням стандартів НАТО. Водночас він наголосив, що питання «не лише у стандартах як таких».

«Наступний рівень – це досягнення взаємосумісності між Збройними силами України та країн НАТО. Але головне, про що нагадують наші партнери з альянсу, що в НАТО вступає не армія, в НАТО вступає країна. Тому вся країна має змінюватися для того, щоб відповідати критеріям членства в альянсі», – сказав Кулеба.

 

30-31 жовтня генеральний секретар НАТО Єнс Столтенберґ відвідає Україну на чолі північноатлантичної ради НАТО.

Представники Альянсу мають намір відвідати Одесу і Київ. Візит завершить засідання комісії щодо євроінтеграції України.

Раніше міністр закордонних справ України Вадим Пристайко заявив, що візит в Україну Північноатлантичної ради НАТО пов’язаний із питанням безпеки в Чорному морі.

У вересні президент України Володимир Зеленський зустрівся в Нью-Йорку з генеральним секретарем НАТО Єнсом Столтенберґом, з яким обговорив «подальші кроки у рамках розвитку політичних відносин і практичної взаємодії України та НАТО».

Перед цим в уряді України заявили, що стратегічний курс України в ЄС і НАТО залишається незмінним.


Генеральний прокурор України Руслан Рябошапка висловив упевненість у тому, що навіть у разі внесення застави колишній перший заступник секретаря РНБО Олег Гладковський не зможе переховуватися від слідства.

У відеозверненні у фейсбуці генпрокурор мотивував це тим, що суд поклав на Гладковського низку обов’язків, зокрема, він має носити електронний браслет, здати документи, які дозволяють виїзд за кордон, не залишати територію Київської області і повідомляти про своє пересування слідчим.

«Таким чином навіть у разі внесення застави органами досудового розслідування буде повністю забезпечено можливість співпраці підозрюваного з органами досудового розслідування та унеможливлено його переховування від органів кримінального переслідування», – сказав Рябошапка.

 

Він також наголосив, що суд встановив законність затримання Гладковського детективами НАБУ і підтвердив, що затримання було здійснено обґрунтовано і згідно з вимогами законодавства.

19 жовтня Вищий антикорупційний суд ухвалив рішення про взяття під варту на 60 днів Олега Гладковського і водночас визначив, що він може внести заставу в понад 10,5 мільйона гривень.

Національне антикорупційне бюро затримало Гладковського 17 жовтня. Він на знак протесту оголосив голодування.

 

САП 18 жовтня оголосила йому підозру за статтями «зловживання владою або службовим становищем» і «декларування недостовірної інформації».

На початку березня 2019 року тоді чинний президент України Петро Порошенко заявив, що звільнив Олега Гладковського з посади першого заступника секретаря РНБО.

Це сталося після того, як у лютому і березні журналісти Bihus.info опублікували кілька частин розслідування «Друзі президента крадуть на оборонці (секретні переписки)» про суми «відкатів» і схеми розкрадання мільйонів в оборонній сфері.

За даними журналістів, безпосереднім учасником цих схем був син колишнього заступника секретаря Ради нацбезпеки і оборони Олега Гладковського Ігор, а також сам Олег Гладковський і представники «Укроборонпрому».

Незабаром після оприлюднення розслідування були затримані кілька чинних і колишніх посадовців ДП «Спецтехноекспорт», що входить до складу «Укроборонпром». Їх вважають причетними до розтрати коштів держпідприємства оборонної галузі на суму 55,5 мільйонів гривень.

Олег Гладковський та його син відкидають звинувачення.


Вищий антикорупційний суд України пояснив, що розмір передбаченої для арештованого колишнього першого заступника секретаря РНБО Олега Гладковського відповідає завданим через його діяльність збиткам.

«Експершого заступника секретаря РНБО триматимуть під вартою із правом внесенням застави у розмірі 10 623 130 гривень. Відповідне рішення було ухвалене сьогодні слідчим суддею ВАКС після тривалого засідання. Сума застави відповідає збиткам, які, за попередньою оцінкою, були завдані через діяльність експершого заступника секретаря РНБО», – йдеться в повідомленні ВАКС у фейсбуці.

Своїм рішенням суд частково задовольнив клопотання Спеціалізованої антикорупційної прокуратури, яка просила для Гладковського запобіжний захід у вигляд взяття під варту з альтернативою застави у понад 100 мільйонів гривень.

 

Захист Гладковського заявив про намір оскаржити рішення ВАКС, прокуратура поки що про такий намір не заявляла.

Згідно з рішенням суду, ексчиновник перебуватиме під вартою протягом 60 днів, а в разі внесення застави має носити електронний браслет, здати документи для виїзду за кордон і з’являтися за викликом слідчих чи суду.

 

Національне антикорупційне бюро затримало Гладковського 17 жовтня. Він на знак протесту оголосив голодування.

САП 18 жовтня оголосила йому підозру за статтями «зловживання владою або службовим становищем» і «декларування недостовірної інформації».

На початку березня 2019 року тоді чинний президент України Петро Порошенко заявив, що звільнив Олега Гладковського з посади першого заступника секретаря РНБО.

Це сталося після того, як у лютому і березні журналісти Bihus.info опублікували кілька частин розслідування «Друзі президента крадуть на оборонці (секретні переписки)» про суми «відкатів» і схеми розкрадання мільйонів в оборонній сфері.

За даними журналістів, безпосереднім учасником цих схем був син колишнього заступника секретаря Ради нацбезпеки і оборони Олега Гладковського Ігор, а також сам Олег Гладковський і представники «Укроборонпрому».

Незабаром після оприлюднення розслідування були затримані кілька чинних і колишніх посадовців ДП «Спецтехноекспорт», що входить до складу «Укроборонпром». Їх вважають причетними до розтрати коштів держпідприємства оборонної галузі на суму 55,5 мільйонів гривень.

Олег Гладковський та його син відкидають звинувачення.


Фігурантам другої сімферопольської «справи Хізб ут-Тахрір» російські слідчі хочуть влаштувати експертизу в психіатричній лікарні, повідомив проекту Радіо Свобода Крим.Реалії адвокат Ремзі Бекірова Едем Семедляєв.

«На останній слідчій дії нас ознайомили з постановою про призначення стаціонарних психіатричних експертиз, тому найближчим часом Ремзі переведуть в психіатричну лікарню для проходження даної експертизи. Такі ж постанови є і на інших фігурантів цієї справи. При тому, що амбулаторну експертизу Ремзі не призначали, а відразу призначили стаціонарну. Дана експертиза, згідно з КПК Росії, не є обов’язковою. Ми вважаємо, що цю експертизу проводять для того, щоб люди з усіх випробувань відчули і це: їх розміщують в психіатричній лікарні, припускаючи, що вони психічно нездорові, тим самим принижуючи честь і гідність людей», – розповів Семедляєв.

Також адвокат зазначив, що слідчі органи вже втретє призначають фонографічну експертизу щодо фігурантів цієї справи.

Російські силовики публічно не коментують ці заяви адвоката.

У вересні кримський адвокат Еміль Курбедінов повідомив, що фігурантів другої сімферопольської групи «справи Хізб ут-Тахрір» Тофіка Абдулгазєева і Ремзі Бекірова посадили в підвал СІЗО в Сімферополі.

Співробітники ФСБ, МВС Росії і Росгвардії 27 березня провели в Криму обшуки в будинках кримськотатарських активістів, в тому числі активістів громадського об’єднання «Кримська солідарність». Всього було затримано 24-х активістів.

Обвинуваченими у цій справі проходять 25 кримських татар, 23 з яких вивезено в СІЗО Ростова-на-Дону, Таганрога і Шахти, один – Раім Айвазов – перебуває в СІЗО Сімферополя, ще один – Едем Яячіков – зник, його місце перебування невідоме з 27 березня.

Раніше представник ОБСЄ зі свободи ЗМІ Арлем Дезір засудив арешт активістів «Кримської солідарності» після масових обшуків 27 березня в анексованому Криму, закликавши до їх негайного звільнення з російського СІЗО. У Міністерстві закордонних справ Росії заявили, що заклики Дезіра викликають «подив».


South Sudan opposition leader Riek Machar returned to the country on Saturday to meet with President Salva Kiir less than a month before their deadline to form a unity government after a five-year civil war.

Machar last met face-to-face with Kiir in September, when they discussed outstanding issues in a fragile peace deal. His two-day visit includes a meeting with the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, who arrives Sunday with a U.N. Security Council delegation.

The delegation is expected to encourage progress in the peace deal signed a year ago but fraught with delays.

The opposition has said Machar won’t return to form the government by the Nov. 12 deadline unless security arrangements are in place.

The U.S. has said it will reevaluate its relationship with South Sudan if that deadline is missed.

The civil war killed almost 400,000 people and displaced millions.

Before Machar’s return a unified army of 41,500 opposition and government soldiers needs to be ready along with a 3,000-person VIP protection force.

But so far there are only 1,000 unified soldiers and security arrangements won’t meet the deadline, deputy opposition spokesman Manawa Peter Gatkuoth said.

The previous Machar-Kiir meeting focused on speeding up the screening and reunification of forces, but parties left the talks with differing views.

Deputy chairman for the opposition Henry Odwar called the meeting “lukewarm,” while government spokesman Michael Makuei called it “highly successful” and said everything was on track for next month’s deadline.
 


Carrie Lam, Hong Kong’s chief executive, said Saturday the murder suspect whose case was the spark that started the fire of the Hong Kong protests — an extradition proposal to allow Hong Kong to transfer suspects to Taiwan, as well as  mainland China, among other places, that Lam has announced will be withdrawn — is ready to turn himself in to Taiwanese authorities.

Lam said Chan Tong-kai wrote to her, saying he would “surrender himself to Taiwan” in connection with his alleged involvement in a murder case.

Chang is accused of murdering his girlfriend in Taiwan.  When he fled back to Hong Kong, he was arrested on money laundering charges but is expected to be released soon.

Hong Kong is facing the 20th straight weekend of anti-government protests, after both sides revealed this week that they are digging in.

Protesters say they won’t back down from their “five demands” on Hong Kong’s government, and Lam said she would make no concessions to protesters.

Lam’s hardline position was echoed earlier this week by Chinese President Xi Jinping, who went a step further and warned that anyone advocating Hong Kong’s independence from China risked “crushed bodies and shattered bones.”

But protesters say they’re not giving up. On Friday, more than 1,000 people flooded the city’s financial center, marching past banks and luxury stores, drawing hordes of curious onlookers and bringing traffic to a halt.  

The protesters’ main demands include universal suffrage, an investigation of police violence, amnesty for protesters and the full, official withdrawal of the extradition bill, which would allow mainland China to try people arrested in Hong Kong.
 
Protests have been a near-constant presence in the city since June, even though police have outlawed unauthorized protests and the wearing of face coverings during public gatherings.  

Police have not granted permission for protests planned for this weekend.   

Protests are also planned for every weekend for the rest of the year — or until one side gives in.

Fern Robinson contributed to this report.


At least 15 gold miners were killed on Saturday when a dam collapsed, flooding an artisanal mining encampment in a remote part of Siberia, officials said.

Heavy rains had weakened the dam and water broke through, sweeping away several cabins where the artisan miners lived, about 160 km (100 miles) south of the city of Krasnoyarsk.

President Vladimir Putin ordered all necessary measures to be taken to help those affected, to identify the cause of the disaster and prevent any impact on a nearby residential area, Interfax quoted Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov as saying.

Russia is one of the world’s top gold producers with most of its output coming from large professional industrial mines.

However, alluvial production, which is usually operated by small firms, still contributes some of the country’s gold.

Alluvial or artisanal gold mining in Russia is usually small-scale, but is still conducted by officially registered firms which are supposed to abide by health and safety rules.

Krasnoyarsk officials said in a statement that water released by the dam partially flooded two dormitories of the rotational camp in which 74 people lived, adding that 13 people were still missing.

A Russian investigative committee said it had launched a criminal probe into violation of safety rules at the gold mining spot, while local authorities said the collapsed dam was not registered by official bodies.

Interfax said the miners were part of Siberian privately-held Sibzoloto, which unites several artisanal mining teams.

Sibzoloto was not immediately available for comment.

Sibzoloto produced about 3 tons of gold in 2018, Sergei Kashuba, the head of Russia’s Gold Industrialists’ Union, a non-government producers’ lobby group, told Reuters. Sibzoloto is not a member of the union, he added.

Russia produced 314 tons of gold in 2018.